[mythtv-users] Capture card with best tuner - BT8x8, SA713x or PVR-250?

Richard Lee-Morlang rick at webtownis.bc.ca
Fri Aug 22 23:16:32 EDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 21:34, Joe V wrote:

> So, that said, is there anybody else with marginal
> cable signals coming in who have capture card
> recommendations?  I'd rather not have to add the VCR
> into the mix on a permanent basis.

My cable signal varies with the channel I tune to, but even the best
stations are what I'd describe as marginal, at least compared to a
*good* broadcast signal.

My WinTV Stereo PCI and my Athlon XP 2200 don't seem to have any problem
with it, for the most part. Something with a lot of panning is
noticeably stuttery (sports, for example) and I see the occasional
stutter elsewhere, but I'm never sure how much that has to do with
dropped frames and how much it has to do with any resulting artifacts
from capturing an interlaced signal, displaying it on a de-interlaced X
display that gets re-interlaced by the encoder chipset on the video
card.

Have you tried playing with the buffers settings for the bttv driver? I
expiremented with larger values for mine, but it either seemed to make
no difference or make things worse. Perhaps you'd have better luck with
your setup.

Rick