[mythtv-users] Mythvideo + Xine/Mplayer + LIRC

Bryan Murphy bryan at terralab.com
Sat Aug 23 14:35:37 EDT 2003

Well, first thing's first, Chris said he wasn't using irxevent so I
doubt that killing irxevent and restarting it is going to fix his
problem.  Second, I suspect it's more complicated than this as irxevent
doesn't automatically go into the background, so you would more likely
have to restart irxevent with something like the following:

    nohup irxevent &

And finally, I thought irxevent sent it's events to the topmost window
anyway?  I'm currently experiencing this problem as well, whenever I try
and watch a video in mplayer through the MythTV interface. I'm at a bit
of a loss myself.

Anyway, in my case, doing the following:

    pkill irxevent; xterm -e "/usr/bin/mplayer -vo sdl -zoom -quiet %s";
nohup irxevent &

to start mplayer prevents irxevent from sending events to MythTV while
mplayer is running, unfortunately mplayer is still not recognizing lirc
as an input, I get something to this effect:

    Setting up LIRC support...
    mplayer: could not connect to socket
    mplayer: No such file or directory
    Failed to open LIRC support.
    You will not be able to use your remote control.

If I don't kill irxevent, irxevent simply queue's up the events and then
sends them to MythTV instead of mplayer.

Any ideas?  I've searched for these error messages on google and have
only found posts in foreign languages which I do not understand.

Finally, the one thing I do differently is I run X directly and don't
run any window managers.  It's quite possible that this may be a part of
the problem, but I haven't tested this theory yet as I intend to rebuild
the machine anyway.  Mandrake just hasn't been cutting it lately so I'm
going to move over to a Debian based distro!

Bryan