[mythtv-users] Re: Considering a MythTV

Jason Williams jason at crashbox.org
Mon Aug 25 14:07:30 EDT 2003

Jarod,

Thanks again for the info.  It's refreshing to see someone just uniformly
answer all questions with sincerity.

> I've heard decent things about ShowShifter, but I betcha you'll be much
> happier w/MythTV in the long run. :)

I've got a hunch that your absolutely right.  I think I'll do his system as
a test tomorrow night.

> Look for info on the IRBlaster.
>
> > I could go straight to the wall in my sons room though.

The problem there is that in my Cable Box setup, it seems that it does not
support IR Blasting.  There is a settings page with the following:  "IR
Blast:  No".  This is not a setting that can be changed.  However on a
previous screen there is this setting:  "IR Bypass:  Enabled" and there is a
Female DB9 on the rear of the unit.  I think I saw a control cable for sale
at Snapstreams website, any ideas on the software?  I'm at work right now,
but if needed I can post the Software and Firmware revisions tonight.  I
know this might sound humorous, but I wonder if the cable company would have
any useful information or if their attitude is more of a "Hands off!"
mentality?

> With some televisions, the computer output comes through and doesn't
> fill the entire screen, so you end up with black bars at one or more
> edges of your screen. Overscan blows the image up a bit to fill out the
> TV. I had to overscan a bit to fill out my TV (GeForce 4 MX S-Video ->
> 47" HDTV).

Well that explains a small glitchs I'm getting at the top border of my son's
pc image.  His pc is using a STB Velocity 4400  (the original nVidia Riva
TNT chipset for anyone not familiar with it).  Looks pretty good except that
little bit.  He doesn't seem to mind as he watchs his 352x240 Divx
recordings of::  CatDog, Scooby Doo, Dexter's Laboratory, etc....   In fact,
he thinks it's pretty stinkin' cool!  It's always great to impress the kids
=)

> I've got the bare-metal-to-fully-working-system process down under 3
> hours now. My first build, oh so long ago, took about 30 hours... :)
> Several things have improved since my first install though, so don't be
> scared off by that number. ;p

No worries there friend.  I'm liking what I see and wishing more and more
each day I already had the parts.

> As I inferred above, it would be possible to set up his machine without
> even having a tuner card in it. You could put both tuners in your main
> system, and then run a frontend on his system, which would watch TV
> streamed off the main system. The backend does all TV capture, the
> frontend does all playback, and the two don't have to be on the same
> machine. It is also possible to set up multiple backends to work in
> unison (one has to be the master backend), so you could have a single
> tuner in each machine (or two in one, one in the other, etc). Of
> course, this does mean possible contention between the two of you for
> the tuners. :) The PIII-600 probably wouldn't be good for much though,
> unless it had a PVR-x50 of its own, or streamed video from the other
> system, though you might also be able to scale the rez way down for
> mpeg4... The MythTV docs cover multiple backend issues pretty well, and
> setting up remote frontends is a snap.

With Divx 5.0.5 and ShowShifter, my son is able to:  record TV programs
(352x240 Divx High Quality), timeshift live TV (352x240 mjpeg @ approx.
80%ish CPU), and playback recordings of multiple formats (all @ 352x240 &
approx. 40 - 60% CPU).  So it seems that while his setup is not ideal by any
means, I think I can make it do what I had setout for it to do originally...
just simply record some of the things he likes that he is not able to catch
due our busy life schedule.

I think ideally I'd want to set him up as his own front and backend that
recorded programming he can access without a cablebox and I'll feed him
things as needed from the premium channels... example... HBO Family has some
great kids movies but it's like 540+ on the channel line up.

I'll be sure to read that portion of the docs before I get started.

Thanks again for the excellent responses.  I am looking forward to tinking
with MythTV soon.

Jason Williams

"I wish none of this had happened."
-----
"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."