[mythtv-users] harddrive suggestions?

Dane Kantner webmaster at dddane.com
Mon Aug 25 12:55:41 EDT 2003

> I just fried my new 120gb maxtor diamondmax plus 9 last night while
> trying to improve the airflow around it....It got incredibly hot when

For future purposes, may I recommend something called "The Ultimate Hard
Drive Cooler" ... Its about $15-20.  *No* 7200 RPM drive should go without
one...(or some other type of cooling)..  This particular one is a really
thick heat sink, with 2 fans in front that go out the drive bay.  You can
buy it just about anywhere these days...  I've seen 7200rpm Maxtor drives,
IBM drives, and WD drives fry in under a year's use because they were too
hot.  I have yet to see one with this cooler die.  I've also tested a few
other HD coolers, but this one is the best I've found and my company now
requires it on all computers.

this cooler, and all other coolers i've seen, require an extra drive slot
above the hard drive for the heat sink... depending on your case, you may
not have this (for instance, a mini case probably wont)... I have a case @
home that i'm working to figure out how to cool the hard drive... i have
kinda given up on it as there is no room anywhere around the drive... the
only solution i've come up with is putting the hard drive in the cd rom slot
and using an external cd drive.  anyone else know of a solution / idea for
really tiny cases?

-dane