[mythtv-users] harddrive suggestions?

Richard Houser rick at divinesymphony.net
Tue Aug 26 02:32:42 EDT 2003

For performance, I say that the WD 7200RPM 8MB cache drives ROCK!  I use
a client-server setup for myth with 2x80GB and 1x120GB.  With a RAID-0
accross the first 72GB on each, the performance of these drives really
shows.  I get in excess of 125MB/s total bandwith and this machine
really does use it all (not just running myth by a longshot, but I still
use full quality DVD streams).

It might just be me, but the 80GB drives each seem to be a little faster
than the 120GB ones.  There really is no contest performance-wise if you
compare these to the Maxtor DiamondMax 40GB 7200RPM ATA133 drive (only
non-WDD I have at the moment).

Also, I've never really had any problems with heat.  Many of the heat
problems mentioned might be from innadequate case cooling.  I always
take special care to make sure my cases are very open for airflow and
generally purchase them a little bigger than absolutely needed for that
reason.  I try to run a case fan directly in front of the three drives
just in case, anyhow though.  They are stacked on top of each other in
the case with about an eighth inch high gap and the case fan mounted
directly in front.