[mythtv-users] Considering a MythTV

Jason Williams jason at crashbox.org
Tue Aug 26 15:13:38 EDT 2003

Jose,

> 4.- No monthly fee.
>
> 5.- You can play music, view photos, check the weather, play DVD's and
> even copy them to the hard drive.

These are my primary selling points!

> I must admit that I don't concer myself about quality much but the
> MythTV quality is (deps. on settings) the best of all three.

That's what I had hoped.

> get yourself a BIG hard disk.

Roger that.  I had planned on 120 - 160 gigs.

> I don't know if I would worry so much about file size...  Maybe someone
> else will disagree with me.  If you want to save movies for a long time
> then get yourself a DVD burner and save them that way...

For many things, your absolutely right.  DVD disc's of programs would be a
great way to archive them.  However; I wanted to put some select favorite
movies on the drive and use the system like a "jukebox" at times.  Call me
crazy, but there are some things that I can watch a million times and sill
appreciate... such as MadTV's Kenny Roger's Jackass bit, etc...  In
addition, there will be things that may not get watched right away due to my
schedule.  It's quite likely the size is not as critical as I imagine, just
not knowing makes it seem important to me.

> I think you should really think about the PVR-250, it uses almost no
> CPU...  As a matter of fact, you may want to get a 350, I hear that the
> tv-out functions of it will be up and running soon......

I've decided to get one based on the advice I've received.

> Good luck!

Thanks, I've started my son's system last night.  Had hell with the Netgear
MA301 Wireless PCI Adapter, but we are going now.

Thanks for the input Jose!

Jason Williams

"I wish none of this had happened."
-----
"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."