[mythtv-users] pcHDTV and HDTV

Steele Price steele at xtcp.net
Tue Aug 26 16:01:55 EDT 2003

I must have bought the wrong DVI cable because I had all sorts of trouble
getting DVI out to work.  I got only green and blue out using a DVI-I cable.
I wasn't going to go out and get another $50 cable just to see if it worked
since I already had the transcoder.  But for crispness of display, I saw no
real difference between the two.

You can set an interlaced 1080i modeline in XFree86 and it will translate it
to 560 for you so I'm not sure what you mean there.

Here are my active modelines if anyone needs them.

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Sony 34XBR800"
        HorizSync       28-75
        VertRefresh     50-72
#       Modeline "1080i"        74.25 1920 1960 2008 2200 1080 1090 1110
1125 +vsync -hsync interlace
        ModeLine "720p"         74.25 1280 1328 1384 1666 720 722 728 766
	  # nice widescreen gaming resolution
        Modeline "1000x600"     65.880 1000 1176 1216 1464 600 652 657
750 -hsync -vsync
        Modeline "540p"         40.806 960 1036 1116 1216 540 550 551 563
+hsync +vsync
        ModeLine "480p"         32.432 720 736 800 858 480 484 492 525
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Radeon 7200"
        Device          "Generic Video Card"
        Monitor         "Sony 34XBR800"
        DefaultDepth    24
        SubSection "Display"
                # replaced all the defaults with custom timings
                #Modes          "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
                Depth           24
                Modes           "720p" "1000x600" "540p" "480p"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

I have commented out 1080i because I never use it/didn't like it.
If you use the "interlace" keyword it does the translation for you into 540.
+-xsync definately make a difference, and you should try making small
changes with xvidtune, but be very careful and only make small changes, if
you get some things to over/underscan better for you then take them and
apply them to your modeline settings.

Steele Price
CTO
Digital Dreamshop