[mythtv-users] Re:Two Bugs in Mythtv v0.11 & Two Usability Requests

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Tue Aug 26 23:27:20 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 26 August 2003 10:15 pm, Todd Greene wrote:
> Gosh, flames for free from thor.  Let me simplify this then:
>
> -->  " The frontend hangs or crashes " -- Sometimes it crashes, sometimes
> it hangs when the backend is down and I try to watch a recording or live
> TV.  I don't typically get a "Could not connect to backend server" message.
>  This occurs with the frontend distributed (i.e. on a different machine).

The frontend doesn't handle the backend going away once it's connected to the
backend.  If it can't _initially_ connect, you certainly do get that error
message after mythfrontend exits.  If you're having random backend crashes,
send in a backtrace of the crash (full step-by-step instructions in the
howto).  Until then, the problem can't get fixed.

> -->  "...perhaps you might want to avoid trying to time-shift white
> noise..."  -- Thanks, good idea there.  I should probably stop recording
> static for later viewing.  Doesn't mean it should hang when I do.  Probably
> a problem with the file generated with the hardware-based compression on
> the pvr250 anyway.

It's not hanging, it's trying to generate the preview pixmap.  If you had a
faster machine, it wouldn't take nearly so long to decide that it can't do
that for the bad file.

> On-screen help menus and "please wait" messages aren't all that
> complicated, or frivolous.  It would be great if open source software could
> be usable enough for the general public, and give commercial offerings real
> competition.  Mythtv is a good start.  No reason to get defensive 'cause of
> a few suggestions.

It _is_ open source software, which means that such things can be added by
anyone, including yourself.

Isaac