[mythtv-users] Re: Considering a MythTV

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Aug 27 01:29:28 EDT 2003

On Monday, Jason Williams wrote:

> Thanks again for the info.  It's refreshing to see someone just
> uniformly
> answer all questions with sincerity.

I try, time permitting. :)

> The problem there is that in my Cable Box setup, it seems that it does
> not
> support IR Blasting.  There is a settings page with the following:  "IR
> Blast:  No".  This is not a setting that can be changed.  However on a
> previous screen there is this setting:  "IR Bypass:  Enabled" and
> there is a
> Female DB9 on the rear of the unit.  I think I saw a control cable for
> sale
> at Snapstreams website, any ideas on the software?  I'm at work right
> now,
> but if needed I can post the Software and Firmware revisions tonight.
> know this might sound humorous, but I wonder if the cable company
> would have
> any useful information or if their attitude is more of a "Hands off!"
> mentality?

See the reply from JAC...

>> Overscan blows the image up
>
> Well that explains a small glitchs I'm getting at the top border of my
> son's
> pc image.  His pc is using a STB Velocity 4400  (the original nVidia
> Riva
> TNT chipset for anyone not familiar with it).  Looks pretty good
> except that
> little bit.  He doesn't seem to mind as he watchs his 352x240 Divx
> recordings of::  CatDog, Scooby Doo, Dexter's Laboratory, etc....   In
> fact,
> he thinks it's pretty stinkin' cool!  It's always great to impress the
> kids
> =)

True. I can't wait for my kid to get a bit older (almost 1yr old
now)... But then he'll never know anything BUT this way... :)

>> I've got the bare-metal-to-fully-working-system process down under 3
>> hours now. My first build, oh so long ago, took about 30 hours... :)
>> Several things have improved since my first install though, so don't
>> be
>> scared off by that number. ;p
>
> No worries there friend.  I'm liking what I see and wishing more and
> more
> each day I already had the parts.

Good man!

> With Divx 5.0.5 and ShowShifter, my son is able to:  record TV programs
> (352x240 Divx High Quality), timeshift live TV (352x240 mjpeg @ approx.
> 80%ish CPU), and playback recordings of multiple formats (all @
> 352x240 &
> approx. 40 - 60% CPU).

Okay, lower rez, probably not such an issue. I get stuck in my own
thinking, where I'm using the HDTV, and full 720x480 for everything. :)

> So it seems that while his setup is not ideal by any
> means, I think I can make it do what I had setout for it to do
> originally...
> just simply record some of the things he likes that he is not able to
> catch
> due our busy life schedule.

Going with similar resolutions as in ShowShifter, you should be fine,
but of course I say that not truly knowing. I do have an Athlon 800
I've used from time to time as a remote FE, and it has no problems
playing back 720x480 mpeg2 streams off my main system.

> I think ideally I'd want to set him up as his own front and backend
> that
> recorded programming he can access without a cablebox and I'll feed him
> things as needed from the premium channels... example... HBO Family
> has some
> great kids movies but it's like 540+ on the channel line up.

Sounds like a plan!

> I'll be sure to read that portion of the docs before I get started.

A very good idea.

> Thanks again for the excellent responses.  I am looking forward to
> tinking
> with MythTV soon.

Again, we're all here if ya need us!

--Jarod