[mythtv-users] can I use xine (VeXP) instead of mplayer in myth?

and hons at rcn.com
Wed Aug 27 09:38:10 EDT 2003

So maybe my statement was a bit broad and unrefined, but I actually
just conveyed the information in the same form I found/received/read
it....

The issue is still that you need to have one of the sanctioned distros
(even mdk9.1 is out) to get the binary mpeg stuff. And my favorite
Debian is completely out for now. But assuming you do use one of these
I agree that you can just use the same hooks as the VeXP after a big
bit of reverse engineering.

I really have been trying hard to figure these things out and have been
reading the list faithfully as well as other lists, forums, goolge and
the guys at VIA ( a bit more than a few minutes... ;-), and I don't
think my original question was so stupid or uninformed in the light of
the above limitations of the VIA mpeg. Asking questions is a time
honored way to learn and some of us just also nee to ask the stupid
questions to understand. This is a myth-user list and not the developer

As a user and noncoder the task of hooking mythtv up to the mpeg
library was quite out of my league, but I thought that if myth had been
using a player for the tv presentation (it wasn't that obvious as I
mentioned before that it didn't) I could probably figure out how to
switch it to VeXP given a bit of guidance.

rgds
anders