[mythtv-users] Re: pcHDTV and HDTV

Jason Schloer schloer.jason at tangoinc.com
Wed Aug 27 13:44:09 EDT 2003

I may be wrong on this, but for capture you shouldn't need too powerful
a machine. Since ATSC signals are already MPEG2 compressed to at most
19.2 mbps there's not a lot to do other than write the stream to disk.
So throughput will be the bigger issue for multiple hdtv cards. Where
you will need more horsepower is on the machines displaying the stream.
And once Myth is optimized for xvmc, even a 1.2 Ghz machine should be
enough. Anyway, I gues my point is that dual cpu Athlon-64  may be a bit
of overkill, especially if the "normal" cards you're considering are
hardware encoders. I'd love to hear other peoples take on this though,
especially Brandon.

Jason Schloer