[mythtv-users] Re: alsa support in myth (was: Latest atrpms kernel ...)

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Aug 28 13:47:47 EDT 2003

On Thursday, Paul Jara wrote:

> On Thursday, August 28, 2003, at 05:47  AM, Michael Novich wrote:
>
>> Interestingly, trying to use an Alsa device once fixed my black video
>> problem.
>> I changed it back to /dev/dsp and the video stills shows, but no
>> audio.
>>
>> I manually changed the player settings for mplayer (within myth) to
>> add
>> "-ao alsa9" to the command line and voila - crystal clear sound. I'm
>> sure, however, that there is a better solution and that although I
>> have
>> Alsa installed, OSS emulation (which is what I believe I am supposed
>> be using) must not be working right.
>> Any way to diagnose this?
>>

> That's a pretty good hypothesis. I'm not sure of the best way to
> diagnose the problem but one way I liked to do it was to use an app
> like XMMS that (with the right plug-ins) could use both OSS and ALSA -
> though not both at the same time. If ALSA is not working, the XMMS
> ALSA output mode won't work but the OSS one will. Vice versa if OSS
> emulation is not working. If you want to test this out, you'll need to
> install the xmms-alsa plug-in that is available from repositories such
> as freshrpms as it is not installed by default with XMMS.
>
> Since you've got a pvr-250 which also does sound (if I'm not mistaken)
> and should therefore show up as a sound card, I'd bet there's a
> configuration error somewhere. Things can get pretty complex when two
> or more sound cards are installed. I'd check to see if your true sound
> card configuration and pvr-250 sound configuration aren't conflicting
> with eachother or otherwise mixed-up.

The PVR-250 does do audio, but it does NOT show up as a sound card. The
audio is muxed w/the video, straight into an mpeg2 stream.

> (more commentary below in Axel's e-mail)
>
>> Here's what used to happen.
>>
>> If user mythtv ran mplayer from a shell, it would say "device not
>> found
>> /dev/dsp" and then autmoatically print out something about finding
>> Alsa
>> and would go ahead and use it.
>> When mythfrontend would run it, it would just not find /dev/dsp and
>> then
>> no sound would come out. It would keep attempting to use /dev/dsp for
>> while before dying, but the error was printed 10-20 times.
>>
>> I'm running on a pundit with a pvr-250, recording works fine (I'm sure
>> there is some tweaking left, but overall, its better than VHS, so I'm
>> not 100% worried).

Just a shot in the dark, but you did run through setup, and get to the
point where you clicked "Finish" in the part where you tell MythTV to
use /dev/dsp for sound, didn't you? I've seen systems, where even
though the default setting in the setup is /dev/dsp, it didn't actually
take hold until I went through that part of the setup and committed it
w/a "Finish".

>> Thanks in advance for any help,
>> Michael
>>
>>> From: Axel Thimm [mailto:Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de]
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> taking this to the list.
>>>
>>> This request reappears every now and then. Lately Paul (Cced)
>>> checked out the situation, but he finally suggested to not
>>> include the ALSA patch (or activation?) for now in the rpms,
>>> as it didn't improve his situation.
>
> Let me elaborate a bit on this. I had a specific problem with sound in
> MythTV. I was getting jerky live TV playback and the sound would
> stutter. I was using OSS-emulation but had the ALSA drivers installed.
> I thought compiling ALSA support into MythTV might remedy the
> situation so I did just that. The situation did not get better. In
> fact, it got a bit worse. I'm at a loss to explain why but I guessed
> it had to do with the fact that MythTV only had preliminary, and
> therefore a bit immature, ALSA support. I eventually stumbled on a fix
> for my problem when I thought I'd move back to a Windows-based PVR
> solution. I tried, but nothing came close to MythTV's level of
> features and functionality. So, I decided to go back to Linux. I
> reinstalled Red Hat 9, and immmediately installed MythTV from Axel's
> repository and low-and-behold, everything worked nicely even in live
> TV mode. I decided to leave everything as-is. As such, I haven't
> installed the ALSA drivers nor have I bothered (of course) to
> compile-in ALSA support into MythTV. I have noticed some drawbacks.
> With OSS, changing channels causes the video and audio to lose sync
> for the first initial seconds. But after those few seconds, the sync
> is perfect again. With ALSA, there was no sync issue. And, when MythTV
> was working properly, the MythTV OSS-emulation mode/ALSA driver
> combination seemed more responsive to channel changes and such.
>
> Basically, my opinion for RH9 right now is to try to stick to basics.
> Get pure OSS mode working. If you cannot, then try OSS-emulation with
> ALSA drivers. If there are still problems, then I'm not certain a pure
> ALSA mode will alleviate them. There is probably something more subtle
> going on.

Though if you want to use something like S/PDIF out to your amp, ALSA
is the only way to go. :) I use Red Hat Linux 9 and all of Axel's
packages, including ALSA. I'm definitely curious what benefits I might
see if using pure ALSA mode MythTV, though I have no problems to speak
of with my system as-is... Axel, care to spin off a test rpm w/the ALSA
part enabled?

>>> screen, now I
>>>
>>> I forgot what your hardware was. If this is ivtv based, it
>>> sounds like some known problem which went away with the
>>> latest CVS version (rpm packaged).

Yep, I second that. Try updating your ivtv drivers.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...