[mythtv-users] memory cache problem

Scott linuxborg at insightbb.com
Thu Aug 28 20:07:24 EDT 2003

I do not believe this is a myth issue, but am hoping someone can point
me in the right direction.

When viewing live tv my system crashes after a few minutes.  I have
discovered this happens when the memory cache + buffer cache + app
memory consume all available memory (512 MB).  While monitoring this
during a live tv playback I see the app memory rise about 20% when first
starting the live tv watching and then it levels off.  However, the disk
cache keeps going up into it reaches the maximum.  Then it levels off
for a few seconds and then the box hangs.  I have 400MB of swap
allocated, but it never touches that.  As soon as I stop watching live
tv, the buffer frees up.  Can anyone point me in a direction on what
might be wrong with my configuration that it is causing this?  Can you
set a max amount of memory to be used for cache?

Any help is appreciated.

Scott