[mythtv-users] Still having audio problems with upgraded 0.11

Chris Poch cpoch at vt.edu
Thu Aug 28 22:30:30 EDT 2003

I fixed the problem!  I could swear that I've already checked this, but
here's how I did it: I launched xawtv, just to make sure live TV coming
live off the tuner card had sound (unmuting the CD input while running
myth would give me out of sync sound).  Only problem is, there was no
sound in xawtv either.  I opened a mixer window and started playing
around . . . all the levels were fine and nothing was muted.  Then I
noticed the "Audio (un)muted" option in xawtv.  I clicked it, and there
was sound.  Muted the sound card input that my tuner is connected to,
and then launched mythtv.  Audio works perfectly.  I could have sworn
that I had tried xawtv and it worked a few days ago . . .

A helpful sidenote for anyone else having the same problem: mythtv seems
to use the same settings as xawtv for TV tuner related settings.  Xawtv
always defaults to the same settings.  If you have the same problem,
make sure to set the correct audio mode, color system, etc in xawtv
before closing it.  Otherwise, you will find that mythtv is trying to
run with the PAL color system.

I can't use mplayer to show live video off my tuner card, but then
again, I don't have a hardware encoder (don't know if that matters).
-Chris