[mythtv-users] Re: WAS Capture card... NOW Cable bi-directional signal booster

Colin Gebhart colin at thegebharts.com
Fri Aug 29 00:45:38 EDT 2003

Hi Joe,

Here is an option available at your local RadioSchmuck for $60.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=&product%5Fid=15%2D1169

I have one and contrary to my normal opinion on RS products, I have
been quite satisfied. Note that it is rated for analog or digital
cable, pay-per-view, and cable modem. I have only tried it on analog
and digital cable. Although I have not ordered PPV, after I installed
the unit, PPV started showing availability where it had not before.
Hopefully in the next week or 2 I could report on its performance with
my coming cable modem.

This was my stopgap measure as I was rewiring my house and converting
from RG-59 to RG-6 quad shielded. My picture quality had been poor and
digital cable had been slow to change channels along with lack of PPV
availability. This unit cleaned everything up nicely even with the old
wiring.

I have done a little research into comparable products and so far, I
have not found anything similar for less than twice the cost. I am not
sure this should worry me or if I lucked out with this particular RS
product.  I will be interested if others share opinions on the
suitability of this product or other options I may not have come
across yet.

Good luck, Colin.

JV> Do you have any recommendations on good signal
JV> boosters?  I've actually tried a couple, and they
JV> didn't really help.  Part of my problem is that I have
JV> a cable modem so I have to make sure that I get a
JV> two-way booster.

Later,
Colin
mailto:colin at thegebharts.com
Colin says...

Use a wickedly good email client  |  http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat/index.html

Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that,
but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. -Mark Twain