[mythtv-users] Re: Still having audio problems with upgraded 0.11

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Aug 29 01:38:49 EDT 2003

On Friday, Chris Poch wrote:

> A helpful sidenote for anyone else having the same problem: mythtv
> seems to use the same settings as xawtv for TV tuner related settings.
>  Xawtv always defaults to the same settings.  If you have the same
> problem, make sure to set the correct audio mode, color system, etc in
> xawtv before closing it.  Otherwise, you will find that mythtv is
> trying to run with the PAL color system.

Um, not quite. If you set your tuner up correctly in MythTV's setup
utility, MythTV should always use what you've specified in there. Among
the things you're supposed to specify are TV format (set it to NTSC, in
your case) and channel frequency table (likely either us-bcast or
us-cable, for those in the US). MythTV has no reliance on your xawtv
settings. I never even used xawtv on my system...

> I can't use mplayer to show live video off my tuner card, but then
> again, I don't have a hardware encoder (don't know if that matters).

mplayer works with both hardware encoder cards and vanilla tv tuner
cards; you just have to throw it different switches.

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...