[mythtv-users] question regarding composite vs. television inputs

Mark Edwards mark at edwards.homelinux.net
Sat Aug 30 00:50:54 EDT 2003

Hey Mike.

I also have a bit of an odd setup....

I have PT878+ TV Card which is a BT878 based capture card. I have soldered a
connection from the BT878 cards tuner to the composite input of an old Miro
DC10+ (Zoran MJPEG) card. I basically just use the BT878 card as an external
tuner and audio connection (using btaudio driver)

I record my TV input exclusively from the Zoran card (/dev/video1) and the
input is set to COMPOSITE:

mysql> select * from capturecard;
+--------+-------------+-------------+-----------+----------+--------------+
----------------+----------+--------+----------+
| cardid | videodevice | audiodevice | vbidevice | cardtype | defaultinput |
audioratelimit | hostname | use_ts | dvb_type |
+--------+-------------+-------------+-----------+----------+--------------+
----------------+----------+--------+----------+
|      2 | /dev/video1 | /dev/dsp2   | /dev/vbi  | V4L      | Composite    |
32000 | mm       |   NULL | NULL     |
+--------+-------------+-------------+-----------+----------+--------------+
----------------+----------+--------+----------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

I use an external channel changer script (/usr/local/bin/changechannel) to
change channels on the bt878 card (/dev/video).
MythTV kindly obliges and continues to record whatever I sling down the
composite video line of the Miro card - 100% without fail.

So - the good news is - it can be made to work. The question is - why
doesn't yours?

Firstly - if your video input is only coming down the composite video input
line, are you 100% sure that the video source coming into the composite
video line is kosher (i.e. any external channel changer isn't goofing up).
secondly - how are you changing channels for the purpose of recording? IF
you are using composite, you really want to try and avoid having Myth try
and change channels for you...

Mark