[mythtv-users] Re: PVR 250 question

Dana Hata estespark at 141.com
Fri Aug 29 11:07:55 EDT 2003

>  > Almost all of the questions I've asked are ambiguities that are not
>  > resolved in the documentation or mailing lists. You can call me on
> it-
>  > I just double-checked my previous posts.
>
> I did too. I'm certain a few of them have been covered in the past.

Which ones?  A pattern of abuse would mean at least the majority of my
questions are somewhere (docs, forums) clearly answered.  And that is
the key to all of this.  I am doing nothing different from anyone else
here- the fact that I have asked 5 questions in one day is incidental
(hey, it happens sometimes).  Maybe I am working on this more hours
during the day or I am just unlucky- you just don't know, so logically
you can't determine anything from it.

>  > I think you are interpreting
>  > the fact that I ask many questions in a short period of time as
> meaning
>  > I am not reading the docs or searching this list. That is an
> incorrect
>  > assumption.
>
> Yes, you have asked quite a few questions in a short period of time.
> But that's only part of the problem. To get a good idea of my
> position.

Many questions at once is a problem? Or even part of one?  See above.

> on the issue, read here:
>
> http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Doesn't say anything about artificially throttling and spacing the
posting of your questions, just for appearances sake.

> A few of your questions were indeed previously covered on the list.
> I'm
> not saying don't post anything, but that is quite a deluge you hit the
> list with. It wouldn't hurt to spend a bit more of YOUR time figuring

You have no idea how much time I spent on some of these.

> out your problems before asking everyone else to spend THEIR time on
> every problem you come up against. I just found myself spending a
> goodly amount of time reading all your messages, and even more time

I just looked again at what I asked, so I am sensing some exaggeration
here.

> trying to respond where I could hopefully help. The last one was about
> my fill for the day, I guess. That, and I've been pretty cranky today,
> anyhow... :)
>
>  > Also, the fact that your answer about Hardware MJPEG was incorrect
> is
>  > evidence that at least that question is not entirely clear, and
>  > especially not "pretty obvious".
>
> Yes, I sort of put my foot in my mouth on that one...
>
>  > I appreciate the time you are taking to answer these questions.

This still stands, despite one error, you have been very helpful, both
to me and to many others.

> I try to do what I can, since I can't code for squat. I like to think
> I'm always right when I give an answer, but I like to know when I'm
> not
> (thank you, Isaac). :)
>
> On that note, I'm contemplating dusting off my very rusty programming
> skills, and seeing if I can't hack together a patch that'll put an
> "I've got a PVR-x50 card" menu item in the codecs list, so something
> like this WILL be obvious.

I agree, it should be more obvious.

> --Jarod

I think we should take this friendly debate offline, unless you think it
would be of technical value to those trying to install MythTV.

Dana