[mythtv-users] Dell PowerEdge 400SC and ATI 8500DV

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Aug 29 14:01:10 EDT 2003

On Friday, Aug 29, 2003, at 11:43 US/Pacific, John Girouard wrote:

> I appreciate the prompt replies, and now that I've gone back through
> the archives (downloading 49MB file and searching... there's got to be
> a better way than that!) and seen what you mean about the
> craptasticality of the AIW cards, I certainly appreciate the kind
> tone! Oh well... guess I'm in the market for a new capture card. PVR
> 250 seems to get good reviews.

I'll back that. I'm extremely happy with mine.

> $299 is spendy?!?! I'd certainly add more RAM to it, drop my existing
> ATA133 160GB drive in it, and upgrade to at least the P4 2.4, though.
> I'm looking to replace a PIII 733 that doesn't play nice w/ Linux
> (3com net card always gets IRQ 0, which obviously doesn't work so
> good). Thanks for the pointers!

Well, all you said was you were going to purchase that system and throw
an AIW in it... Like I said in another message (and you concede in this
message), you'd need a bigger hard drive, more RAM, and then you're
talking about upgrading the processor. That tacks on another $200 to
your system price. And that doesn't even include a TV tuner (since the
AIW won't work) or a decent video card (though I suppose you could just
use the AIW). Tack on another $100-200, depending on tuner card. Oh
yeah. You also need a sound card. Want to use MythDVD? You need a DVD
drive too. Now you have a $600-700 system. You can do quite a bit
better than that.

Something is definitely up w/that PIII if you can't get a 3com card to
work. They're some of the best supported ones...

--Jarod

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...