[mythtv-users] Problems viewing TV using an ATI TV-Wonder and Asus A7N266-VM

Steven Sartorius ssartor at bellatlantic.net
Sat Aug 30 01:56:42 EDT 2003

I've searched the gossamer archives for this issue but nobody seems to have
quite the same problem I'm seeing....

First of all my setup:

Asus A7N266-VM mobo
Athlon 2200 XP+
256MB
80G Maxtor HD
ATI TV-Wonder card
Apollo GF4 MX440SE 64M w/TV out
Debian Woody with self compiled 2.4.22 kernel
(using the new Nvidia chip set support and the included bttv module)
Alsa sound driver
CVS MythTV from 8/28

MythTV built and installed with no problems and I am able to watch .avi/.mpg
files full screen with sound using mplayer.  The problems arise when I try
to watch TV.  Before I tackled MythTV I tried to get xawtv going, just to
make sure my card was capturing cable correctly.   Starting up xawtv
resulted in an immediate segfault (even after I installed the correct
fonts!).  I was only able to get xawtv to run by manually specifying the
/dev/video0 device on the command line.  Initially, I was only able to get a
blue screen -- this was with the bttv module autoprobe defaults (card=63 and
tuner=19).  Searching the archives I saw people recommending the tuner be
defined as 2 so I tried that with (almost) the same result -- this time I
got 2 channels (5 and 6) both in washed out color.  At this point I popped
open my case and took a look at the sticker on my tuner -- it was identified
as a '4036 FY5 TEMIC 3X1 981'.  According to the CARDLIST file in the bttv
documentation this was a type 8 tuner (Temic NTSC).  So I tried that and got
the same dismal results as before.  Getting desperate now, I went down the
list of tuner types (still keeping the card at 63).  All the NTSC type
tuners I tried resulted in blue screens or a handful of (washed out)
channels.  I had better luck with some of the PAL tuners -- on several of
them I was able to view TV, in color, but fuzzy and distorted and with the
channels off by one.  At this point I'm thinking I've got a bad card or
maybe there's a problem with my mobo/kernel combination.  Anybody have any
insight......???

Thanks,

Steve

P.s.  I have tried to build the latest, unstable bttv driver but without
success -- the patch applies without a problem but the kernel build fails
with a missing symbol!  Without a patched kernel I can't build the unstable
driver!