[mythtv-users] New Myth User Project - Advice Needed

jose rubio debian at nc.rr.com
Mon Dec 1 14:56:16 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 13:16, Jason Giddens wrote:
[snip]

> - Which distribution is the best for a beginner on Linux?  Red Hat or Gentoo?
> I don’t want to start a holy war, just tell me which one is the best for a newbie.
I've tried several, there seems to be some good guides out there for
red-hat (FWIW I use debian).  If you want to be up and running fast you
might want to consider knoppmyth (sp?)

> - Is the extra money worth it for a PVR-350, vs. the 250?  I have read lots of
> posts about people using the 350, but no one has really said why it is
> better.  Also, is the 350 harder to get working?
yes the extra money is worth it (IMHO).  The 350 does encoding and
decoding the 250 only does encoding.  The encoding part of the 350 and
250 are exactly the same so for encoding they are both equally hard/easy
to get going.  The decoding of the 350 is still very "touch and go" but
when it works it beats the pants out of everything else I've seen.  You
can always get the 350 and use it as a 250 (ie encoding only) until the
driver stabilizes.  Or you can do like I did.  Got a 250 and then a 350.
it rocks.

> - How hard is it to get this up and running?  My wife will want to know when this
> will be working, and I want to be accurate with her
To get it "up and running": It depends on how good you are :-) But
seriously, getting Linux up and running "should" be the hardest part
if...  unfortunately sometimes it isn't.  I hear of people that have
gotten knoppmyth running in one day... but they probably knew what they
were doing.  I say you should be watching and recording in a few days...
tweaking for the rest of your life...

> I have been lurking on this list for a few weeks, and have been poring over
> the archives, but these questions have not been answered as far as I
> can tell.

-jose-