[mythtv-users] Video dies only when recording!?!?

Nic Thomas amonre at orcimsoft.org
Mon Dec 1 23:44:16 EST 2003

Ok...I had been upgrading all the way to the 0.12 release. Then I tried the
latest cvs update around the Nov 26th date...the cvs version didn't fix the
problems I was having with the .12 version so I reverted back to .12. The
problems I had with .12 where minor compared to my current problem. To revert
I did a make distclean in every module and mythtv before recompiling. I also
dropped the database via the mysql client. I followed the normal setup
process as if I had just did a fresh install of .12. I can watch Live TV...I
can watch videos...I can play music via mythmusic...some things are still
broken as they where before. But now anytime I try to record anything the
video dies completely. I can hear everything fine but the video dies.

For an example. Say I'm watching live tv...everything is fine both video and
audio. Then I goto schedule a recording. When I go to look at the recording
either while it's recording or after. There is only a black screen but you
can still hear the audio. Also an icon appears when the recording is selected
that looks like a tombstone with RIP engraved in it. If I try to view Live tv
again after the recording takes place I get the same thing...no video but I
can still hear everything. The only thing that fixes the problem is if I exit
out of mythfrontend and kill mythbackend and restart mythbackend (note I do
not have to reload the ivtv module). Then I can watch live tv again.

I have duplicated all the recording profiles to be exactly the same because
obviously I thought it was using a recording profile that was making ivtv act
weird.

Here is my setup...
Mandrake 9.1+PVR250+ivtv+SB Live!+GeForce2 Nvidia drivers`
Everything except the recordings work exactly as it did before I upgraded and
then reverted. The only other change I'm aware of that I made was upgrading
xmltv because of the zap2it problem. The ivtv driver is the same one I've
always used and the same one that worked from the last install/upgrade of
v.12.

Any help is greatly appreciative!