[mythtv-users] [mythtv-users] Install probs at ivtv step

George & Kim Lopez gklopez at metacrawler.com
Wed Dec 3 01:41:09 EST 2003

I am having problems installing mythtv.  I am an
admitted linux newbie so if you provide some
instruction, I certainly would not mind the 1st
grade version.  I think the install is good until
I get to ivtv.
Here is my current status (I have performed the
below tasks twice now):

[root at localhost root]# apt-get install
ivtv-kmdl-$KERNEL
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Package ivtv-kmdl is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 33
not upgraded.
[root at localhost root]# apt-get install ivtv
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
ivtv is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 33
not upgraded.
[root at localhost root]# /sbin/depmod -a
[root at localhost root]# /sbin/modprobe ivtv
modprobe: Can't locate module lirc_dev which is
needed for ivtv
[root at localhost root]# /sbin/lspci -v
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 82845G/GL
[Brookdale-G] Chipset Host Bridge (re
v 02)
        Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.:
Unknown device 80b2
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
        Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
[size=64M]
        Capabilities: [e4] #09 [6105]
        Capabilities: [a0] AGP version 2.0
.
.
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia
Corporation NV15 [GeForce2 GTS/Pro] (r
ev a3) (prog-if 00 [VGA])
        Subsystem: LeadTek Research Inc. WinFast
GeForce2 GTS with TV output
        Flags: bus master, 66Mhz, medium devsel,
latency 248, IRQ 5
        Memory at e6000000 (32-bit,
non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
        Memory at f0000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
[size=128M]
        Expansion ROM at efff0000 [disabled]
[size=64K]
        Capabilities: [44] AGP version 2.0
.
.
.
02:0a.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext
Compression Inc: Unknown device 0
016 (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.:
Unknown device 4009
        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency
32, IRQ 9
        Memory at e8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable)
[size=64M]
.
.
[root at localhost root]# ll /dev/video0
crw-------    1 root     root      81,   0 Jan 30
 2003 /dev/video0
[root at localhost root]# /bin/dmesg |grep ivtv
[root at localhost root]#
[root at localhost root]#

As you can see, I see nothing like Jarod's output of:

# /bin/dmesg |grep ivtv
ivtv: Found an iTVC16 based chip
tuner: probing ivtv i2c driver #0 i2c adapter
[id=0x10005]
saa7114.c: starting probe for adapter ivtv i2c
driver #0 (0x10005)
ivtv: Encoder revision: 0x02040008
ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 0 <---This is
the specific entry we're interested in
ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 32
ivtv: Registered v4l2 device, minor 224

There is nothing in the /var/log/dmesg file
regarding ivtv.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,George

Searching for the best free email?  Try MetaCrawler Mail, from the #1 metasearch service on the Web, http://www.metacrawler.com