[mythtv-users] Recommendations for cable tv splitters/amplifiers?

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Dec 3 15:39:12 EST 2003

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Well, while I'm waiting for my 2 new AverMedia M-179 cards to arrive, I
> thought I'd better address my anticipated signal quality issues.  I
> currently have my cable drop split into 2; one goes to my TV and one
> goes to the WinTV 401 dbx card in my Myth box.  I'll be adding 2 M-179s
> to this setup, so I'll need to split into 4 instead of 2 (possibly 5,
> so I can hook my VCR back up as well).  Any recommendations out there
> on what kind of splitter/amplifier setup I should get?

The more ways you split the signal, the weaker the signal is to
each device. It may be okay if it is split two or three ways but
you should probably use an amplified splitter for three or more.

I recommend this.

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&product%5Fid=15-1197

I've tried several amplified splitter with varying results
but this one does the best all around job. First, it's bi-
directional which means that you can put a cable modem behind
it. Most amplified splitter won't work with a cable modem so
you have to put a 2-way splitter before the amplifier which
weakens the signal.

Next, this has a high maximum frequency. If you have a digital
cable box you may not get all of the digital channels if the
amp doesn't support high enough frequencies. I know I have this
problem with a 400MHz device but not with 900MHz devices. I
don't know what the exact requirement is, I just know this
device works =).

If you look at the picture on the web page, the top half (where
the input is) has a power light (not all that useful) and a
gain control so you can tune the amp strength. It also comes
with terminator caps so can plug the open connectors to avoid
reflections.

--  bjm