[mythtv-users] DVD playback

Jeff Monks mythtv at skunkeye.com
Thu Dec 4 01:46:42 EST 2003

> When I put a DVD in the drive and select "Play DVD" The DVD activity light
> comes on, as does the HD light, but I see no video, just same "Play DVD"
> "Play VCD" "Rip DVD" icons. I cannot Esc out of this and have to reboot
> the computer to get out of this.

Which player program are you using for DVD playback?  Check your settings,
then run that exact command from a shell and see what happens.  You'll
likely get more information about what's going wrong (MPlayer, for one,
spits out a tremendous amount of detail about what it's doing) to help
you debug the problem.

Make sure you do this as the same user that runs the mythfrontend process,
in case this is a permissions issue or something else user-dependent.