[mythtv-users] Tunning the System

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Thu Dec 4 13:58:15 EST 2003

> I guess the point is that the developers don't find it to be a problem.
> MythTV is all about itches, and developers scratching those itches. That
> isn't to say that they never implement things they don't really want
> just because other people want them, it is just to say that from what
> I've seen, most of what gets implemented is because one of the
> developers wants it. (See: CLE266 support, Hardware MPEG encoders,
> PVR-350 tv-out).

	Fair enough.  The correct answer is for me to get off my butt and try
to do it myself, of course.

> Personally, I do not find the delay to be a problem. I don't channel
> surf any more; I find it counter-intuitive... I surf the program guide.
> No matter if the channel is at an ad-break or not, I know what is on on
> each channel, and I don't have to wait even 1/10th of a second as with
> regular tv to see what is on the next channel.

	I've converted to the programming guide now on the digital
cable/regular TV.  I do, however, switch between channels during commercials.
I'm not really the type to "commit" to watching a show to the point where I'll
set up a recording at watch later.  More of a Dennis Miller, "giggle as you
doze off" kinda surfer.

> And I've only been using a PVR for under a week. I hear that after a
> while, you don't even *watch* live tv any more, you just watch recorded
> content.. I haven't built up enough content to just do that, I guess,
> but I'm getting there, and I can see how it is an eventuality.

	Perhaps... I suppose I could get to the same point.  Sad thing is, I
don't really watch TV much anyway.  This is mostly a fun hack to try to make
work without too much $$, and recycle old computer parts.  Now, if I had
digital satellite, and HDTV, and some extra DVD-burners and mpeg cards around,
it would get a lot more interesting.  For now, it's a fun toy.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*
* 	- teach what you do.						*