[mythtv-users] "watch recordings" menu -- 900 program limit?, and slow to generate

Eric Wemhoff ericlw at hotpop.com
Fri Dec 5 04:35:10 EST 2003

Hi David.  I just got back from an extended thanksgiving trip here.
Lots of recorded TV to catch up on.

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2003 at 03:44:20AM -0800, Eric Wemhoff wrote:
> > running.  I'm not sure if I screwed something up, but for me the cvs
> > takes about 16 secs to generate the list for 960 recorded programs as
> > compared to that 9.5 secs that release 0.12 took for 942 programs.
>
> The amount of data transfered over the network has increased from 0.12
> but I wouldn't expect it to make that much difference.  Can you add
> some debug output around the call to RemoteGetRecordedList to see how
> long it is taking?

Think you could get me started on how to do that?  I'd like to do some
profiling, but I got no clue how.  Are there good system calls to get
cpu cycles elapsed or somesuch?

Or are you talking about printing some console output before and after
the call and using the stopwatch?  Okay that's easy for me to try ...
it looks like that call takes about 16 seconds of the now 17 seconds
to display the menu.  And of that, about 1 second is spent on

    if (!gContext->SendReceiveStringList(strlist))

and 15 seconds on

    for (int i = 0; i < numrecordings; i++)
    {
        ProgramInfo *pginfo = new ProgramInfo();
        pginfo->FromStringList(strlist, offset);
        info->push_back(pginfo);

        offset += NUMPROGRAMLINES;
    }

Maybe we don't want to be allocating memory incrementally like that?
Here is where it'd be nice to use some calls that can measure elapsed
time, to figure out which of those 3 lines in the loop is costing most.

> > or so to the cvs' time.  Also mythfrontend was crashing when you
> > cruise to particular places in the 'watch recordings' menus.  I'm
> > curious what your experience was.
>
> What particular places?  Was it consistent?  I didn't test it
> thoroughly but it seemed to work for me and my ~35 recordings.

The places were repeatable.  But I didn't see a pattern as to which
places would cause it.  I haven't seen it now in while, so maybe
something was temporarily messed up.  I'll keep an eye out.