[mythtv-users] HDTV capable TV outs, how does that work?

Brandon Beattie bbeattie-maillist at linkexplorer.com
Fri Dec 5 12:16:49 EST 2003

It means that it has an internal mpeg2 decoder that can handle decodeing
mpeg2 up to 1920x1080 resolution.  It's outputed through vga, DVI,
(S-video is 800x600 max).  The TV encoder is probably meaning it can
output any HDTV size stream to the s-video port which is TV, but it will
be downscaled to 800x600).  I don't use hardware decoding because it
looks terrible when upscaling.  I run my display at 1024x576 (16:9).
Few lucky people who have nice viewsonic monitors can do 1920x1080i but
it looks great.  Hardware decoding has to be supportoed by nvidia's
driver (Which it is) and the application (Which mythtv does, so does
mplayer, xine, etc)

--Brandon