[mythtv-users] Autologin for root

lists at ulmes.net lists at ulmes.net
Fri Dec 5 16:12:13 EST 2003

If all else fails and you absoutly have to run a program as root (as was
mentioned, setting up permissions on devices and files usually works)
I'd highly suggest perhaps setting the setuid flag on the file and
trying it that way
(http://lists.netisland.net/archives/plug/plug-1999-10/msg00059.html),
or running mythfrontend in some type of jail.  In the worst case don't
kludge together something that lets you autologon as root because this
probably opens up a huge set of issues with remote root exploits.  In
other words have X run mythfrontend on startup (as root if you must)
rather than gdm.  Depending on your setup this will probably even be
faster than going to gdm first.

More or less my point is that while running everything as root on your
Linux box is tempting, it's a very bad idea.  Taking the time to insure
that each program has it's own user to run as and has the minimum
permissions it needs to run not only insures that your box is _very_
secure but that you know exactly what is going on with everything inside
it.  It's not quite as bad if you have a firewall between your box and
the internet, but then you need to make sure that you box that is
running the firewall has these same things done to it, so why not just
do it to every box :)

-Kevin Ulmes