[mythtv-users] Internet won't work thru proxy

Guy McLean guy at mclean.homeip.net
Thu Dec 4 21:43:24 EST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph A. Caputo" <jcaputo1 at comcast.net>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 03, 2003 11:16 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Internet won't work thru proxy

> On Wednesday 03 December 2003 13:27, Tony Maro wrote:
> > Just FYI:
> >
> > I have a Squid proxy with Dansguardian in my house that is
> > transparently redirected to from outgoing port 80's...
> >
> > in other words, a transparent filtering proxy.
> >
> > The URL's that MythTV access for weather, imdb, etc... all work from
> > a browser, but within MythTV they fail if going thru the transparent
> > proxy.
> >
> > I had to reconfigure my firewall to NOT redirect the outbound 80 for
> > the IP that is my MythTV box.
>
> The problem is more likely Dansguardian, I'd think.  MythVideo and
> MythWeather expect to parse an html file formatted in a particular way,
> I believe.  If Dansguardian is performing substitutions (removing ads,
> rewriting URLs, etc), this could screw up Myth.  Rather than remove
> your proxy from the loop, I'd just configure Squid to not pass content
> from msnbc.com or imdb.com through Dansguardian, but to simply return
> it unfiltered.
>
> -JAC

I have the same problem on my system at home, running Dansguardian thru a
transparent proxy to keep the kids out of places they should not be.

How would one go about doing that?

Could you direct me to a site that explains how to do this, I know enough
about linux to follow simple instructions but not enough to figure out how
to reconfigure iptables to do this.

TIA
Guy