[mythtv-users] RH9 / PVR 350 - no sound !

Sen Hwei Chan senhwei at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 6 10:30:07 EST 2003

Hi everyone,

I'm a complete newbie at this but I have been following Jarod's excellent
guide to the letter. I'm trying to setup MythTV on a Shuttle SN41G2 XPC with
the PVR 350 and Red Hat 9.

My video input is S-VIDEO and I've connected the RCA audio cables as well to
provide the input. I have not connected any pass through from the PVR 350 to
the onboard sound card.

The video captures perfectly but without any audio. The audio (nvidia
nForce2) has been setup properly using the ALSA drivers and I can play wave
and MP3 files.

I used the following settings to configure IVTV :

/usr/lib/ivtv/test_ioctl -u 0xff
/usr/lib/ivtv/test_ioctl -p 6
/usr/lib/ivtv/test_ioctl -f width=720,height=576
/usr/lib/ivtv/test_ioctl -v input=1,output=1

I was trawling through the IVTV mailing list archives and it seemed that the
consensus was that "input=1" was the correct setting for s-video / composite
audio capture.

I'm guessing that the problem lies in one of two areas :

1. Wrong MSP3400.o file ?
2. Issue with the IVTV driver.

Am I using the correct MSP3400.o file ? If not, would a kind soul be able to
email me a working version of the file ?

[root at localhost video]# modinfo msp3400
filename:
/lib/modules/2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at/updates/drivers/media/video/msp3400.o
author:      "Gerd Knorr"
license:     "GPL"
parm:        probe short array (min = 1, max = 48), description "List of
adapter,address pairs to scan additionally"
parm:        probe_range short array (min = 1, max = 48), description "List
of adapter,start-addr,end-addr triples to scan additionally"
parm:        ignore short array (min = 1, max = 48), description "List of
adapter,address pairs not to scan"
parm:        ignore_range short array (min = 1, max = 48), description "List
of adapter,start-addr,end-addr triples not to scan"
parm:        force short array (min = 1, max = 48), description "List of
adapter,address pairs to boldly assume to be present"
parm:        once int
parm:        debug int
parm:        simple int
parm:        standard int
parm:        amsound int
parm:        dolby int

Here's the info on the IVTV drivers loaded currently :

[root at localhost video]# rpm -qa kernel ivtv-kmdl-\*
ivtv-kmdl-2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at-0.12-cvs20031004_16.rh9.at
kernel-2.4.20-8
kernel-2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at
kernel-2.4.20-24.9

My module.conf looks like this :

path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates
# default path
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
options ivtv debug=1
options tuner type=2
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner
alias usb-controller usb-ohci
alias usb-controller1 ehci-hcd
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
#alias eth0 nvnet
#alias sound-slot-1 nvaudio
#alias usb-interface usb-ohci
alias eth0 nvnet
alias usb-interface usb-ohci
alias char-major-195 nvidia
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 0.9.0 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd major=116 cards_limit=1 device_mode=0666
options snd-intel8x0 index=0
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# -- Keep modules from being autocleaned
add options -k snd-card-0

I've looked through /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg but there weren't
any messages that looked suspicious.

Any and all help is appreciated as I'm a complete newbie with Linux !

thanks,

Chris