[mythtv-users] Problems with frontend crashing

Tony Maro tony at maro.net
Sat Dec 6 20:06:08 EST 2003

Well, I thought my frontend freezing went away, but I fell asleep
watching live TV last night and it froze sometime during the night.

It again froze a few minutes ago.  I have to SSH in (or plug a keyboard
back in) and send a signal 9 to the first mythfrontend process to get it
to close.  A simple killall won't do it.

The backend still works, in fact it recorded 2 shows while the frontend
was frozen.

Earlier, I noticed my IR remote wasn't working very well at all, but the
keyboard worked perfectly.  I thought the batteries might be low, or
something was wrong with my homebuilt receiver.  Turns out the frontend
was on it's way to another freeze - after the freeze / kill -s 9
mythfrontend / restart mythfrontend the remote worked perfectly.

I did check top though and there was only about 4% processor usage going
on while it was frozen - the most was used by top itself.  It only seems
to freeze during live TV playback, but the remote problem had been going
on for about an hour and a half before the freeze, and during that time
I'd been listening to music and such as well.

Anyone have any ideas?  I need to smooth this out before my wife gets
back into town or I'm dead ;-)  She's the one that watches TV, not me.

Specs:

Downloaded sources from website
Mandrake 9.2
Shuttle  MOBO with integrated LAN and sound (onboard sound disabled in bios)
AMD 1800+
ATI TV Wonder LE
Voodoo3 3500 TV (for video out only - mandrake 9.2 wouldn't run the TV
in drivers for this.)
SB Value using ensoniq drivers

-Tony Maro