[mythtv-users] backend sizing for 4 pvr streams

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Sun Dec 7 10:30:33 EST 2003

Okay, once my 3 at M179's arrive, I'll be building a new backend machine and am
wondering about speed and sizing.  I already have 1 at PVR250 and at least 3
other Analog tuners.

My current front/backend machine is an KT133a, XP2400+, 512mb pc133, 40 and
120gb 7200rpm (40gb for os and 120gb for movies), my intent is to have at
least 1 backend with the 4 PVR cards and maybe a second backend with 2 analog
cards, or possibly 2 backends, each with 2 pvr and 1 analog card.

Now assuming I use the mythtv default bitrates (at 720x480) for the PVR
cards, what will I need to do with my backend to handle 4 concurrent
recording streams? It's not likely that I'll be recording 4 concurrent
streams right now, but once my girlfriend starts using the box for her shows,
that could easily change.

The 120gb will do almost 50mb/s right now, am I going to need to move to a
faster drive or go with raid striping to handle this, or will the current
configuration be fast enough? For the backend, Is the performance better with
nfs or samba, or similar enough to make no difference?
--
Harondel J. Sibble
Sibble Computer Consulting