[mythtv-users] AverMedia Card

Bill Oberman Oberman at BodyMedia.Com
Sun Dec 7 17:38:43 EST 2003

Andrew,

You're not alone. I got the m179 working this weekend with the same effects.
And, if your setup is like mine, it can start up with the bars & mpeg
artifacts again at random :-(

I agree with Chris that you shouldn't have to run test_ioctl at all, mythtv
will do all that for you.  But, as with you, I can't get myth tv to work
unless I rmmod and modprobe ivtv.  One thing I noticed, check dmesg right
after boot =
/bin/dmesg | grep ivtv
directly after the ivtv load messages I see =
ivtv: timed out waiting for firmware
ivtv: ivtv-api.c unknown ioctl 0x803c7601

If I try to run mythtv and watch live tv, in dmesg I see =
ivtv: timed out waiting for firmware
(over and over)

If I then rmmod and modprobe ivtv, I get none of those messages anymore, and
mythtv works.

I've gotten the bars + mpeg effects twice now.  Both times required a
reboot.  Both times I tried rmmod, modprobe, mythbackend restarts, and tuner
changes, but nothing worked.

My current setup is CVS myth tv, CVS ivtv + ivtv_gpio_031110.patch (for
avermedia).  Other things to note.  Ivtv doesn't load automatically, so I
load it in rc.local as well as mythbackend (in that order).  As with you, if
ivtv isn't loaded before mythbackend, I can't change channels.

william