[mythtv-users] Begging for help with live TV freeze

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 8 16:47:46 EST 2003

A number of people, myself included, have reported
frontend freezes in live TV, the symptom being frozen
picture and sound, the frontend spitting out "Waited 2
seconds for data to become available, waiting
again...", and the backend seemingly working normally.

Previous reports, including some backtraces, are at

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=94005
(includes backtraces from two users and some console
output)

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=82957

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=81509

This is very frustrating because I know that the best
way to contribute is to track down the problem and fix
it but I lack a sufficient understanding of what's
going on.  The problem is not a crash in that the
frontend is running and just doesn't seem to get any
data from the backend, but the backend seems to be
fine and doesn't need to be restarted.  It looks like
the function spitting out the error is the one that
pulls data from the ringbuffer, while another thread
is supposed to be putting data in.  Perhaps there's
some subtlety in backend-frontend interaction
involved.  As I reported in one of the posts above,
Knoppmyth on a separate frontend hung every 30-120
minutes on average in exactly the same way when
playing from my backend.

If the problem is not readily apparent to anyone who
understands, is there any more I can do to provide
better information?  I don't want to be a leech.  My
apologies in advance if I posted this too soon after
last evening's posts by me and others.  It seems that
bug reports are answered pretty quickly or not at all.

Thanks to all for your fine work and for any help with
this.