[mythtv-users] Resolved! Re: lirc & homebrew transmitter & scientific atlanta 2100

Aleaxander alex at carbonated.com
Tue Dec 9 10:14:55 EST 2003

> Hi Rich
>
> ...that looks rather alot like the 'start' section of
> /etc/init.d/lircd on my system...
>
> Thanks for your help - in the end it turns out that the most
> important thing of all is to position the IR LED so that it
> directly faces the IR receiver of the cable box.  Mine was
> dangling in front of the receiver, but sort of pointed down.
>
> You can kick me now!
>
>         Cheers
>                 Jay

Perhaps you will also find this interesting (kinda related).  When we
first bought a Tivo, some two years ago, and tried to use its IR Blaster
with our digital cable box to change channels, it hardly ever seemed to
work.  I finally ended up calling Tivo's tech support where I was given
what I considered strange advice on how to fix the problem.  They had me
take some tin foil and completely cover the IR Blaster and the IR
Receiver area of the cable box so that only the two could communicate.
I was skeptical of this solution, but it actually did the trick!
Apparently, we lived in an area with a lot of interference (near an
airport?), so the "high-tech" solution was a sheet of tin foil stuck to
the front of our cable box : )

-Alex Offermann