[mythtv-users] Begging for help with live TV freeze

Rex Young RYoung at kakuinc.com
Tue Dec 9 13:49:55 EST 2003

> If a weak signal is the problem, then it would most
> likely
> relate to CPU utilization, noise being so hard to
> compress,
> which *should* just result in prebuffering pauses and
> stutters,
> not a complete freeze. It should be possible to evoke
> such a
> problem by hammering on the CPU with another nice'd
> process.
> It shouldn't happen with a PVR-250, though.  If this
> is the root
> cause, there's a bug somewhere in how one end or the
> other
> deals with delays in re-filling the buffer.
>
> I have another question though: Is everyone who's
> having this
> problem running Mandrake 9.1?

No.  I use Gentoo.  I have this problem when trying
to use one of the epia- kernels, but nary a problem
when using alan cox' kernels.

I don't think it has to do with CPU utilization, as
I've tried to isolate that in the exact manner you
recommended.
The static is something that I might also have to
investigate, as I'm currently using a wimpy indoor
antenna and only get one channel clearly.

-rex