[mythtv-users] pchdtv + pvr350

audin at okb-1.org audin at okb-1.org
Tue Dec 9 15:58:25 EST 2003

On Tue, Dec 09, 2003 at 03:35:45PM -0500, Taylor Jacob wrote:
> I have been trying to get a full understanding on how the pchdtv works,
> and what format the mpegs are stored in.  Does the pchdtv card just save
> the raw transport stream (With all PIDS included) or does it strip the
> mpeg down to just the PID you desire?

	It just dumps the whole ATSC stream.

> I downloaded a sample Transport Stream clip from pchdtv.com and extraxted
> all the PIDs (there were 3 video streams) into seperate files, and my
> PVR350 would play the 2 480i video streams perfectly, and (obviously) not
> handle the 1080i PID.  I noticed that there was no audio, and I am just
> assuming this because it was either removed when I demuxed the stream (I
> used mpgtx since it was the only thing i could find that was quick and
> dirty to do the job) or the audio is AC3.

	The audio is AC3.  I think MPEG2 is optional.

> I guess my main question is does the pchdtv card in myth save programs in
> a format that can use the pvr350 mpegout hardware (assuming its 480i)?

	Nope.  It just saves the stream.  I think there is code to strip
out nondesired substreams, at least.

                                            Audin Malmin - audin at okb-1.org

"The nature of the US leadership." Say it clearly. That's the issue. We are
led by knaves, criminals and morons. Bullies, sadists, and fools. Even by the
standards of everyday politics, this Administration is made up of notably
ghastly and hapless human beings.  -- Patrick Hayden