[mythtv-users] Video Scaling questions

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Tue Dec 9 23:39:24 EST 2003

On Sunday 07 December 2003 08:14 am, Doug Larrick wrote:
> On 12/06/03 23:56:33, Brian Foddy wrote:
> > Is there a difference in doing this [DisplaySize in XF86Config], vs
> > changing the aspect ratio in the card profile?
>
> Well, the help text for the card's aspect ratio says "Sets the aspect
> ratio of stream generated by your PVR," i.e. the aspect ratio of your
> recordings.  XF86Config sets the aspect ratio of your output display
> device.  Both of these need to be correct for the right thing to happen
> automatically.
>
> -Doug

A couple final comments on this thead.
I tried re-setting the capture card ratio back to
4:3, and setting the DisplaySize to 1280x720, but I couldn't
get Myth to default to a 16:9 display.

However, as I was playing around, I'm leaving it for
now.  Somehow, and I'm really at a loss to explain,
capturing a standard ntsc show using either a pvr or bttv
card, displaying on a 16:9 hdtv using a component converter
set to 1280x720p, and using the myth scaling set
to 16x9, the whole screen is properly filled (which I expected),
but the aspects are much closer to proper.  Not the
standard 16x9 stretch I'm used to seeing when I
use the TVs 16x9 scaling of live TV.  I can't explain???
Not sure how you did it, but I like it...  The only thing
I can think of is the normal TV overscans a bit, and I
tweaked the 1280 numbers so the horizontal overscan is a minimum,
thereby making the aspect ratios much closer to proper.

Brian