[mythtv-users] Lirc, PVR 250, One for All Remote

Nelson Butterworth red_five at charter.net
Wed Dec 10 10:33:49 EST 2003

Harry Orenstein wrote:

>> From: Brent Brownfield <brent at sykescreek.net>
>> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>> Subject: [mythtv-users] Lirc, PVR 250, One for All Remote
>> Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 19:46:20 -0500
>>
>> I am having trouble getting a One For All URC 6131 PVR remote control to
>> be recognized by lirc. I have a PVR 250 and the hauppauge remote works
>> fine with lirc. I have tried irrecord with the one for all remote using
>> the rc-5 template file but I keep getting a gap not found error. It
>> seems that the remote doesn't want to talk to my receiver. Has anyone
>> had any luck with this remote? Does anyone know if this is actually an
>> rc-5 remote, or how I could find out if it is? Thanks

> Brent,
>
> You may have skipped a step. To use this remote as an RC-5 remote
> you need to set an emulation for the device. Typically Philips, Marantz
> and Magnavox devices use RC-5 codes (there may be others). You
> need to set the device being emulated (ie: VCR) to a, say, Philips
> device code and the codes sent by the One-for-All should then be
> RC-5 codes. This will probably result in not all of the buttons being
> set to RC-5 codes (ie: the PIP buttons for a Philips VCR probably do
> not send any codes). To get around this if you want to have a full
> set of codes to send to the Hauppauge receiver you will most likely
> need to contact One-for-All tech support to get the codes to
> program individual buttons to send specific codes (ie: set the PIP
> button for the VCR device to send the code for PLAY for an
> alternate Philips VCR). The idea would be to send the maximum
> number of RC-5 codes for all available keys on the remote in order
> to allow LIRC to decode them and assign them to Myth functions.
>
> Using the remote you mention is one way I was thinking of to resolve
> my own issues with maximum Myth functinality while maintaining
> the maximum flexibility to operate other devices (TV, stereo, etc.).
> So far I am just using an RC-5 emulation on a Radio Shack universal
> remote and I don't have enough buttons for all the functions I
> would like (skip fwd, skip back, PIP, etc.). Good luck getting the
> One-for-All working. Post again if you need more help or get it
> working well.
>

> -- Harry O.

I am using an RCA RCU-810 remote, which is completely compatible with
all the One-For-All (OFA) remotes. I have it working beautifully with
the PVR-x50 receiver. I had to set the VCR device on the remote to code
0098, which is OFA code 0081 (the 810 has a code offset of 17). 0081 is
a Magnavox/Phillips VCR code with no PIP. There are, however, additional
button codes the remote knows that are not mapped to any buttons. Look
on this page for advanced button codes for this VCR device code:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/cgi-bin2/ueic.cgi?VCR_0081

You can map any of the advanced codes to empty buttons or to shifted
buttons, then learn them into LIRC. The OFA remotes are extremely
flexible and programmable, and the site above has all kinds of info and
links to a Yahoo group related to these remotes, including my RCU-810,
most OFA remotes, and a few Rado Shack units as well.

Nelson