[mythtv-users] Assistance with MSI TV@nywhere card...

schepens at shaw.ca schepens at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 10 14:19:21 EST 2003

Please excuse my newbie question!  I am learning as I go along about tv capture under Linux but I'm at a dead end here.

I'm using an MSI TV at nywhere Master card on a 2.20 kernel (the stock kernel that comes with SuSE 9.0).  I've been using the cx8800 module, which modprobe suggests.  This does make some sense since the card uses the cx881/cx883 decoder chip.

Trouble is, the best I can get is weird, distorted video by connecting my DVD player to the composite input.  (I haven't tried actual cable TV yet because I want to have success with the simple before I get into the tuner complexities.)

Thus far, I've used xawtv to try and debug things.  I get a strange, snowy version of what I should see by selecting "SECAM" as my TV norm (though the tuner is definitely NTSC).  I don't get much in the way of video at all if I select NTSC.  Various PAL settings give me brighter or dimmer, bluer or redder versions of the same mixed-up version of the image I expect.

I don't know if the issue is with the options I'm using with cx8800.  Card=0 (generic type card) is the only setting that gives me no errors, warnings or segmentation faults.

I seem to get varied results by tweaking the "tuner=xx" setting, but nothing I've tried really helps.  So my lack of success might just be due to not using the correct tuner module.  This card brags about its use of a "Silicon Tuner", the only sense I can make of this is that they are referring to a Microtune tuner (or maybe a Temic, which Microtune has acquired).  I'm just using plain-jane "tuner.o".

Any words of wisdom you could impart on this would be gratefully received.

Do tell me if, in your opinion(s), I'm wasting my time trying to get this particular card to work.  I can just take the card back and get something better supported in Linux.  However, I also had no success with my old ATI All-In-Wonder Rage II+ card, so I suspect it's just something I'm not doing right.

Many thanks in advance.