[mythtv-users] Need for a real forum?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu Dec 11 10:15:29 EST 2003

On Thursday 11 December 2003 06:55, Jean-Rene Cormier wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 16:15, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:

> > > You should look into IMAP and maybe a webmail client to check
> > > your mail when you're not home. I check my mail from about 4
> > > different computers and I have all my mail accessible from each
> > > of them. And if I'm on someone else's computer, I can use the
> > > webmail.
> > >
> > > Jean-Rene Cormier
> >
> > That would be nice if I had control over my mail server.  Comcast
> > doesn't give me a choice -- POP3 only.  They have a webmail
> > interface, but I *hate* webmail.  I only use it when I'm on a
> > 'temporary' computer.  I use a real mail client on my 2 main PCs:
> > work & home.
>
> Like some people said, setup your computer at home with Postfix,
> Courier-IMAP, Fetchmail and SquirrelMail and store your mail there.
> From what you said, it's always online since you ssh-VNC on it from
> work. This way you'll have full control on your mail server so you
> can setup filters the way you want, I have a mailbox for each mailing
> list I'm in and it works great. Also no ISP is gonna give you 1Gb+
> mailboxes ;)
>
> Jean-Rene Cormier

Whew!  I certainly didn't expect such a deluge of replies!  Thanks to
everyone who replied.

FWIW, I have considered setting myself up with a Fetchmail/IMAP solution
in the past.  Several things have stopped me:

(1) I just haven't had the time to really fuss with it much

(2) Mail accesibility -- once fetchmail grabs my mail off of the
Comcast's POP3 server, it's gone (well, I could tell it not to delete
the mail, but what with all the MythTV traffic, my Comcast mailbox
would then fill up pretty quick).  So, I would lose the ability to
check my mail from any computer via webmail in an emergency.  "Aha!"
you say, "you could just..." which brings me to...

(3) Yes, I know I could run my own webmail & IMAP servers on my
semi-static Comcast IP.  However, I prefer not to have any ports open
on my firewall other than 1 port for SSH.  This is a fine solution as
long as I have access to a *nix box (Linux, Unix or Mac OS X).
However, most WIndows boxes that I might encounter "in the wild" don't
have an SSH client available to do tunneling or at least give me a
shell.

If anyone can give me a clue (off-list, please... this thread is getting
really O-T) as to how I could set up a system where my POP3 mail
wouldn't be fetched until queried my IMAP server, that would be great.
Then, if I was away from my computer(s), the mail wouldn't be
auto-fetched, and so would be available on Comcast's webmail interface
in a pinch.  I don't care about keeping old mail on their server, but I
always want my unread/new mail available via a vanilla web browser.

TIA,

JAC