[mythtv-users] Close to functional, few problems

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Thu Dec 11 13:25:25 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 11:13, Nathan Langley wrote:
> James Pifer wrote:
> > I've been struggling for quite a while to try and get my MythTV box the
> > way I want it. I'm very close now, can see light at the end of the
> > tunnel. I do have a few issues. My setup is a PIII 1Ghz, 512RAM, 160
> > GHD, and a PVR-350 using TVOut.
> >
> > 1) If I start mythbackend as a service the frontend is unable to
> > connect. When it starts as a service all the rights for ringbuf1.nuv are
> > for root. If I start it manually as the mythtv user, then the rights are
> > mythtv's. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
> >

> Make sure the mythtv owns the binary file (chown mythtv.users
> /usr/local/bin/mythbackend) then do chmod +s
> /usr/local/bin/mythbackend
>
> Now when you run it in as a service it will run as mythtv.

I tried this, and mythbackend is owned by mythtv and the grp is users.
When the service is running, root still owns the process, and
ringbuf1.nuv is still root root.

Also kind of weird, I get two instances of mythfrontend running when i
start up. One gets auto-started by kde when the mythtv user logs in
automatically. I can't figure out where the other one is being run from.

Thanks,
James