[mythtv-users] x-box as a frontend?

Brian diypvr at comcast.net
Thu Dec 11 22:37:54 EST 2003

Hi,

warning, a lot of newbie questions follow...

Does an x-box really make as good a front-end as everyone says?  From
what I've read, people seem very happy with them.
I'm considering getting one, in large part for running mythtv.

Does the xbox work well for other parts of the myth suite, myth-game for
example?  Is 64M enough?

Are newer x-boxes quiet?  Is the harddrive spinning when idle, or
watching live or recorded TV from a backend machine, or at other
unexpected times?

Can the xbox DVD remote be used with myth?   Or,are there better ways to go?

What in addition to the xbox (and possible modchip) is needed to get
myth running?
Just the x-box, usb keyboard, and possibly a modchip?

Is anyone out there having success with gentoo on their xbox?

If you have a x-box frontend, would you recommend it to others?  Any
complaints about the setup?

thank you,
-Brian