[mythtv-users] x-box as a frontend?

Bill Bradley wbradley at bham.rr.com
Fri Dec 12 11:47:01 EST 2003

Brian,

I have been using Dennis'  stripped ed's debian 0.41 with Myth for a few
weeks now and it rocks.  I used the sw MechInstaller hack with a refurb
xbox that I got off ebay for $111.  Its not too loud compared to a PC
and I leave it on 24/7.  The OS is pretty stripped but you can add any
packages you want with apt if you use the uncompressed version ( I added
frozen-bubble ).  One of the cool features is that it extracts and loads
the OS and Myth from image files stored on the hdd.  Myth is a separate
image file which means you should be able to upgrade versions by just
replacing the myth_progfs file. I am waiting for the .13 release before
I try this.  As long as your comfortable with linux the install is a
breeze.  Dennis Cartier was really helpful in answering my questions
during my setup (Thanks, Dennis).

MythGame does work.  I have had some sound issues with it (loud
squelching) and have yet to be able to control it with the xpad, but
other than that it is cool.

Word to the wise....if you are going to buy an xbox , make sure that it
doesn't have the focus video chipset and that the dashboard hasn't been
upgraded by xbox live, if you plan on using the sw hack instead of a
modchip.  You should be safe going with a factory refurb model as MS
wipes the Dashboard when they "fix" the xbox.  The xbox-linux website
has a database you can check if you have any questions and a mailing
list if you need any help installing.....

enjoy