[mythtv-users] Digital Cable Box, MythTV, and Serial CablesOhMy!

Warren Pattison wjp3 at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 12 17:05:40 EST 2003

Donald,

I went back and wiped the mythdatabase, along with the settings on the card.  I had duplicate entries in the database, and so I decided to "start clean".  I also went through the test with test_ioctl, and sure enough it is Composite4.  Once myth was set to that - it worked!  Thank you for your help on that.  I guess I just had too many iterations of trying to config everything.

Now my last hurdle, I think, is getting the channel to change.  I have this defined in the Video Input section of mythtvsetup - [/usr/local/bin/channel $1 &].  The setup displays a blurb about Myth using the first argument for the channel number, so I assume I should add the '$1'.  And then set the program to run in the background with the '&'.

The 'channel' binary has mythtv:mythtv as owner, and I chmod-666 the /dev/ttyS0 to allow the user 'myth' to execute it - so I believe I'm good there with permissions.  But when I'm in MythTV, I still cannot use the remote control to change the channels.  The remote I'm using is the gray one that came with the Hauppauge PVR-250 card.  I either hit Channel Up or Down, or manually type in the channel.  I get a brief display of the time on the screen, then that fades away with no channel changing.

Thoughts?  I'm not 100% if my command line that I defined in the mythtvsetup is correct.

As for what my logs show, they aren't listing anything that is apparent as being wrong, from what I can tell.  I do notice that bttv stuff is loading.

I have some picture related issues to sort through as well.  For instance, choppiness when items on the screen are moving fast.  And I need to adjust the refresh rate or something, the picture is too "flashy".

Thanks,

Warren Pattison
wjp3 at wjp3.com

"In a world of compromise, some don't."