[mythtv-users] Avermedia M179 w/ PVR250

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Sun Dec 14 19:25:39 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-14 at 16:10, Woody Sturges wrote:
> I'm trying to add a couple Avermedia M179's to an existing backend:

Funny you should mention that.  I just spent the last couple of hours
doing the exact same thing!

>    I have a 500MHz PIII running as a backend server (v12) with a PVR250 on
> RH9 using the ATrpms suggested by Jarod's guide.  This is all working
> fine.  I bought a couple M179's and am to the point where I can get video
> in via SVideo on the new cards, but no sound (cat /dev/video1 >
> test.mpg).  I've tried several ivtv/test_ioctl -v variations, to no avail.

I've got a PVR-250 Freestyle card as /dev/video0.  The cat-to-mplayer
test works fine, including audio.

The M179 is /dev/video1.  The cat-to-mplayer works as far as audio goes,
but strangely, the picture is *really* small.  As in - it looks like it
captured a PIP shot...

WinTV-dbx 401 on /dev/video2.  It's currently a little hosed.  I'll deal
with it when I get the M179 working fully.

>    I've read that I need to upgrade ivtv via CVS plus a patch in order to
> get audio working.  I download the latest ivtv cvs tarball, extracted it,
> and tried to apply the gpio patch mentioned that supports the M179, but I
> get lots of errors (see below).

I downloaded Robert Kulagowski's patched version from
http://www.smalltime.com/bob/ivtv-cvs-latest+1125A+M179+close_stream.tar.bz2

>    I guess my question is if I'm on the right track with upgrading ivtv,
> and if I am, what I'm doing wrong with the patch?  Is there an easier way
> to get an M179-friendly version of ivtv on my system?  Can I run both the
> PVR250 and M179s?  Will there be an ATrpm version anytime soon?  (I don't
> mind flailing on my own figuring stuff out, but it starts getting old after
> a few days with no results...)

I don't see why you shouldn't be able to!  I'm about to go down the "do
I have the right firmware installed" path for now...

	-I

--
                       Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME
                       ian at duckland.org / ian at cytben.com