[mythtv-users] alsa works with mplayer, but not mythtv

Peter Lee petel at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Dec 14 22:26:58 EST 2003

Hi, All.

I hesitate to ask this question, because I am dead-certain that it has
already been addressed before.  But an afternoon of grep'ing around failed
to turn up the answer...

I have recently installed 0.12 on RH9, using Jarod's instructions (wow ---
are they ever *great* instructions!  No issues at all and the whole install,
for a relative newbie, took less than an hour after RH9 was installed).  The
machine is using a pvr-250 for encoding and running on an XP1800+ on an Asus
A7N8X-X motherboard.  Initially I was using the onboard audio, but since the
machine also has a SoundBlaster Live! card, I decided to install alsa, with
the idea of using SBLive's spdif output through my a/v receiver.

Now, the problem: I am not getting any audio from the SBLive line-out when I
run mythtv.  Note, however, that (1) I *do* get audio from the motherboard's
onboard line-out (and in fact that is how I have been watching mythtv for
the past few days), and (2) I *do* get audio from the SBLive line-out when I
run mplayer.

What is going on here?  I suspect that there is something simple in the
setup that I've neglected, but I haven't been able to figure it out.  And
from reading the archives, I suspect that this is a much simpler sound
problem than has been addressed recently.

Peter (a very long time Tivo user, but getting close to decommissioning the
Tivos for a couple of Myth boxes... ;-)