[mythtv-users] snd-via82xx sound garbled

Adam C. Brown abrown at cs.utexas.edu
Mon Dec 15 00:22:02 EST 2003

I'm using the ALSA 1.0rc2 drivers along with MythTV, however I've run into
two sound problems:

First, when I play a DVD, the sound (and video) tend to 'jump' and sound
'garbled'.  I don't run into this problem when I use the kernel driver for
2.4.23 (via82cxxx_audio), that is, the sound and video are perfectly
synced and don't make the popping/jumping noises.

Second, when playing back TV recorded with MythTV, the sound/video have
the same garbled/out-of-sync problem after ~10 minutes of playback.  I
haven't been able to reproduce/refute this issue with the 2.4 kernel
driver, b/c MythTV needs full-duplex, and I don't think that the kernel
driver likes that ;).  If I stop and restart the playback, the problem
disappears for ~10 minutes.

The only suggestion that I've found from the lists in the past is trying
to use the dxs_support option with the snd-via82xx driver.  I've tried
both dxs_support=2 and =3, but neither has worked.  The soundcard is on
the motherboard (ECS K7VTA3 version 8.0).

Thanks in advance for your help.

-adam

Adam Brown                                         abrown at cs.utexas.edu
"Everyone is entitled to an *informed* opinion."           512.232.7435
    -- Harlan Ellison                                    ACES CS 3SE04A