[mythtv-users] PVR250 and Empty Mpeg files...

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Mon Dec 15 05:59:59 EST 2003

Hi all,

I was just wondering if you guys have any advice on how to get the
PVR250 working sucessfully with Myth.  I purchased one last week, and
managed to get the ivtv drivers working ok.  The cat /dev/video0 >
test.mpg worked ok (although not at 768x576 - the output was very
corrupted! - weird.), but when I hooked it up to myth, did the setup,
and ran a mythfilldatabase, it is intermittant.

The symptom is that I get zero length .nuv files, and then it won't
record a thing :(  I have had to resort to putting the BT848 card back
in to stop my wife complaining!!!  She is currently spitting about the
fact that I have 'wasted £100' (so any help would be wonderful!)

I have been searching through the archives for both this list, and the
ivtv list for clues, and I must say I am confused.

Firstly, am I right in thinking that there are actually 2 versions of
the driver?  Something by Jens (?) and the official ivtv stuff.

Secondly, I tried the latest CVS build, and that caused the above problem.

Thirdly, I tried the Jen's release, and that also suffered from the same
  problem (did a reboot after building and installing - I am assuming
that is enough to use the new drivers?)

Fourthly, I also see that there are several Hauppage firmware revisions
- which is the 'right' one?  I just grabbed the latest of their website.

Fifthly, (cor, ain't I going on! - soz all) some mentions are made on
the website about running a BT8x8 series and a PVR250 card, but I keep
seeing YMMV-type comments - so is it possible/advisable/stable to do so
if I ever manage to get this PVR250 working?

Ok - thats my bladder emptied - thanks in advance for any responses -
apart from RTFM-type ones - cos done that, and am still confused....

Cheers,

Richie